1. Rinse & Fill test bottle with water sample to 10-ml line.
2. Add 1-2 drops of Ferroin Indicator (R-0819), mix well.
3. Add and count drops of CAN Solution (R-0820), while swirling sample.
4. As color change approaches, slowly add one drop at a time – mix well. Count number of drops. STOP when test sample changes from amber/orange to gray, green, or blue. Color change should hold for 20 seconds.
5. Record the number of “CAN” solution drops required for color change and calculate below...
6. One drop = 20 ppm Nitrite
Two drops = 40 ppm, etc
(# of drops x 20 = ppm Nitrite)
7. Recommended: 500 – 1000 ppm of Nitrite is excellent.
Procedure from Rocky Mt AquaTech Inc.
Source: Saint John’s Lutheran Church (Community Member)